D.C. officers flagged a excessive each day COVID-19 case charge and lengthy testing turnaround occasions on Sunday.
Knowledge launched by the District says the seven-day common of instances per 100,000 residents now tops 27. D.C. flagged this metric as pink in its system of inexperienced, yellow or pink indicators. The common check turnaround time is also pink and tops 4 days.
D.C. introduced one other 140 instances of the virus on Sunday. Two extra folks died, together with a 49-year-old man.
Black residents proceed to disproportionately be killed by the virus. Seventy-four p.c of D.C. residents who died of COVID-19 had been Black or African American, town mentioned. Black residents make up an estimated 46% of town’s inhabitants.
A day earlier, D.C. introduced extra new coronavirus infections on Saturday than on another day because the pandemic started. The variety of new infections was 371 on Saturday. The District solely as soon as earlier than identified greater than 300 new instances in a single day, on Could 1.
Sunday’s quantity was 140 instances.
What the Knowledge Reveals
D.C. introduced on Sunday one other 140 instances of COVID-19 and two extra deaths. In Maryland, one other 1,999 folks examined optimistic. Twenty-three extra deaths had been introduced. And in Virginia, one other 1,614 folks examined optimistic and 4 extra folks died.
The seven-day rolling common of instances was about regular in all three jurisdictions, as in contrast with earlier days.
Native Coronavirus Headlines
- Fairfax County well being officers launched an inventory of holiday coronavirus guidelines, breaking apart actions into various danger classes.
- Some Fairfax County college students have returned to all-virtual learning amid an increase in coronavirus instances.
- A complete of 51,510 coronavirus tests had been administered in Maryland final Friday, the best ever on a single day.
- The Smithsonian is shutting down its museums and the Nationwide Zoo as soon as once more because of current spikes in COVID-19 instances.
- A program that offered prolonged unemployment advantages to out-of-work Virginians ended earlier this month.
- COVID-19 numbers proceed to color a dire image for Black People, and there may be an ongoing effort in the Black community to increase testing.
- The Metro board voted to shut a funds hole by changing how often trains run.
- Officers have reversed a choice to cancel the annual Wreaths Across America event at Arlington Nationwide Cemetery. The occasion, held in December, will occur in spite of everything.
- Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan introduced how the state will allocate about $70 million in federal aid because the state braces for months of rising coronavirus instances.
- Maryland launched a new contact tracing app, and has reduced indoor operations for bars and eating places from 75% to 50% in response to rising coronavirus instances and elevated hospitalizations.
- A review by the News4 I-Team has discovered issues that Prince George’s County, which has the best variety of coronavirus instances within the state, has obtained what some are calling an underwhelming share of the greater than $165 million in assist up to now.
- D.C. now requires travelers from all but four states get tested for COVID-19, as soon as earlier than journey and once more in the event that they plan to remain within the District for greater than three days. Maryland, Virginia, Hawaii and Vermont are the exceptions.
The best way to Keep Secure
There are methods to decrease your danger of catching coronavirus. Listed here are tips from the CDC:
- Anybody over the age of two ought to put on a masks or face overlaying. Preserve it over your nostril and mouth.
- Wash your fingers usually. Whenever you do, scrub with cleaning soap and water for a minimum of 20 seconds. As a backup, use hand sanitizer with a minimum of 60% alcohol.
- Keep away from shut contact with anybody who lives outdoors your property. Which means staying six ft away from anybody outdoors your circle, even in the event you’re sporting masks.
- At all times cowl coughs and sneezes.
- Clear and disinfect regularly touched surfaces.